There are certain foods that meet the needs of women more than they do for men. It is suitable that we address the problems of men and women differently. In some areas, the dietary plan of a woman needs more care and proper planning.
Studies suggest that next to children, women are more prone to develop iron deficiency like anemia. Women between the ages of 19 to 49 need about 18 mgs of iron daily.
Women by nature are very delicate and when our iron levels drop, it is likely that we can suffer from fatigue, dull skin, nausea, dizziness and brittle nails too. We also need extra care during our menstrual cycle, pregnancy, lactation and menopause period.
Adding to this, we often tend to go on crash diets which brings in nutritional deficiencies including anemia. Imposing oneself to a strict diet will only lessen our iron intake and make us go weak and tired. During every menstrual cycle, we lose 1mg of iron. Hence, we need to strictly need to make up for this loss.Now let’s look at the top 5 Iron rich foods every woman must include in her diet.
1. Beef. Not many people are aware that skipping meat totally from their dietary plan is not altogether healthy. People have a poor perception that not eating meat is a strong attempt to improve carbohydrate intake and believe it is fattening. But the truth is that having meat like beef can help you shed all those extra pounds. Beef is rich in iron and also have a high level of protein. If sometimes you are treated for iron deficiency then you need to include beef in your diet plan at least three times a week. For those who do not like the idea of devouring chunks of meat, you can add it in your stir fries or maybe even your soup. Beef can help women combat depression during the menopause stage.
2. Spinach. You need to include leafy vegetables like spinach into your meals so that it helps you improve the absorption of iron. It contains iron and thwarts you from getting anemic. Remember Popeye? Though it was a superficial comical show, he had his stand corrected of advocating the use of spinach to build strength. That’s right. Spinach is rich in calcium, Vitamin A and also potassium. For all those who feel weak, tired and irritated easily, check your intake of leafy vegetables like the spinach. The iron content in raw spinach can be absorbed easily, so you can have it either raw or cooked.
3. White Rice. White rice is avoided by most people saying it is quite heavy. But white rice has better health options than what your regular food has to offer. White rice provides rich nutrients and it is enriched with iron as well. It is a good source of magnesium, phosphorous and thiamine as well. It is also low in fiber and it has only 2% of fat which makes it an excellent source of food for women all over.
4. Oysters. If you want to have an iron rich diet then you can include about half a dozen of oysters next time when you sit down to eat. Oysters also contain some vitamins and minerals and zinc. If you are a sea food lover then you have more reasons to rejoice. Oysters are also a great alternative to meat. If you do not like meat, then opt for oysters. They are also low in kilojoules. They are also great for women who have calcium deficiency and low sexual desires.
5. Salmons. Salmon contains Omega-3 fatty acids that help women facilitate pregnancy in women with any infertility problems as it increases uterine blood flow. It also reduces the chance of premature child birth and increase in the length of the pregnancy. Omega 3 Fatty acids taken in fish or as supplements during pregnancy and breast feeding helps the brain development of the baby too. It also helps in postpartum depression, menopause, post-menopause and breast cancer. It is also said to be good for your skin keeping it smooth and supple. All in all salmon is a good source of iron.
Many women are unaware that they are anemic and need sufficient care especially with the kind of food that they eat. Since they go through a menstrual period every month, they need more iron in their body. So with the right kind of foods like I suggested, you will be ready to bring back your life on track. Do make sure that you consume the right quantity and the right amount of food. Know when to limit yourself to certain foods. Increase your intake of leafy vegetables, take adequate amount of rice and a chunk of meat once in a while to bring about that right balance in your body. And with that you will proceed to have a lifelong period of bliss. Your energy level will bounce back, your body will feel lighter and your skin too will be glowing and happy. After all a glowing skin is a happy skin.