Prepare the components for this green and crisp spring salad ahead and assemble in a few minutes before serving. Cut the celery into matchsticks and let them sit in the refrigerator in ice water for several hours to crisp; whisk the anchovy-lemon dressing in advance so the flavors blend thoroughly. The pleasing bitter taste of arugula is a great match for the lemon and anchovies.
|½||bunch Italian parsley, leaves only|
|4||flat anchovy fillets in olive oil|
|Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|⅛||teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|¼||cup olive oil|
|4||cups loosely packed baby arugula, long stems removed|
1. Cut the base off the celery stalks. Cut off the leaves. Wash the celery stalks and dry them on paper towels. Use a potato peeler to remove the thick strings. Use the inside stalks first. Cut each stalk into 1½-inch lengths and cut the lengths into matchsticks. Place in a bowl of ice water and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Continue reading below
2. Drain and dry the celery. In a bowl, combine the
celery and parsley.
3. Chop the anchovies finely. In a bowl, combine the anchovies, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and red pepper, if you like.
4. Pour half the dressing over the celery mixture and toss well.
5. In another bowl, toss the arugula with the remaining dressing.
6. Place the arugula in a shallow serving bowl, put the celery mixture in one heap in the middle. Sprinkle with the lemon rind.