Serves 4 with leftovers
|5||tablespoons olive oil|
|¾||pound fresh Italian sausage, removed from casings|
|2||medium onions, chopped|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1||medium (1 pound) celery root, peeled, cut into ½-inch chunks|
|3||medium carrots, coarsely chopped|
|1||red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1||medium green cabbage (1¾ to 2 pounds), quartered, cored, and cut into 2-inch shreds|
|2||tablespoons tomato paste|
|1||can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed in a bowl|
|¼||teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|⅓||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|½||cup (3 ounces) shaved or crumbled ricotta salata or feta|
1. In a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with the edge of a metal spoon, for 7 minutes or until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl.
2. Lower the heat to medium. Add 2 more tablespoons of the oil. Add the onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until softened. Add the celery root, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften slightly. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl of sausage.
Continue reading below
3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Turn the heat to medium-high. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Stir in the water, scraping the bottom of the pan, then the tomato paste, tomatoes, and crushed red pepper.
4. Return the vegetables to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and set on the cover askew. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove 4 cups of the stew (vegetables and a little liquid) for the soup.
5. Add the sausage to the pan. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt, black pepper, or red pepper, if you like. If the mixture seems thick, add a little water and return the stew to a boil. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and ricotta salata or feta and serve with crusty bread.