|1||cup cooked bell peppers and onions|
|2||roasted butternut squash halves, skin removed (plus any other squash flesh)|
|4||cups chicken stock|
|3||teaspoons olive oil|
|⅓||cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|Pinch of paprika|
|10||shiitake mushrooms, sliced|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|¼||cup plain yogurt (for serving)|
1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, combine bell pepper mixture, squash, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
2. Working in batches in a blender, puree the vegetables and squash mixture until smooth. Return to the pot.
Continue reading below
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Toast the pumpkin seeds, shaking the pan constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in salt and paprika. Toast for 1 minute more, or until seeds are beginning to brown and spices are aromatic. Remove from the pan and wipe out the skillet.
4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the shiitakes, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Reheat the soup over low heat, stirring often, until hot. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with mushrooms, pumpkin seeds, parsley, and a drizzle of yogurt.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick