These individual desserts, made in cupcake papers, contain beaten raw egg whites, which children and seniors (and anyone who is worried about consuming uncooked eggs) should avoid.
|¼||cup slivered almonds|
|½||cup crushed amaretti cookies|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|¼||cup confectioners’ sugar|
|3||tablespoons rum or amaretto|
1. Have on hand a cupcake pan lined with papers.
Continue reading below
2. In a dry skillet over medium-low heat, toast the almonds, shaking the pan constantly, until they are lightly browned.
3. In a food processor, work the cookies to fine crumbs (but not to a powder).
4. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. With a rubber spatula, remove them from the bowl and set aside.
5. In the mixer bowl, beat the cream and sugar until it holds soft peaks. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs, rum or amaretto, and egg whites.
6. Spoon the mixture into the papers. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Tent with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours or until firm. Jeri Quinzio