This recipe for fried & stuffed tofu in tomato sauce is a meatified version of the popular Vietnamese dish of tofu in tomato sauce (Đậu hũ dồn thịt sốt cà chua).
That version is great, and probably the one I’ve had more of, however, the version you’re going to make in this post is more substantial–enough that you don’t need another side dish or entree to go with it.
To be honest, I haven’t been super particular in choosing tomatoes for this dish. I like to go with plum Roma tomatoes because of its size and texture and the color is always enhanced by adding some tomato paste. The flavor is balanced out nicely when adjusting the seasoning, so I’ve never had a problem.
Start with fried tofu, or else this is just going to fall apart in your lap. You can fry the tofu yourself, or pick up some pre-fried ones to save some time. There’s some kinda strange pre-fried variety I got before that is super airy and light. It was almost like there was more fried exterior than actual tofu inside. It was okay, but not as good as the heavier, denser type.
To stuff the tofu, simply cut a slice in the center of and fill it with the pork mixture. Cut it so you can add almost as much filling as you like without having the tofu burst at the sides.
This recipe can easily double too if you have more folks to feed, or want more leftovers. I like to top mine with chile flakes and eat with rice, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner :). Make sure to check out Hungry Huy on Instagram for more pics of food adventures!
Pork-Stuffed Tofu In Tomato Sauce (Đậu Hũ Dồn Thịt Sốt Cà Chua) Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 15 mins Total time 25 mins Author: Hungry Huy Serves: 4 Ingredients
- 1 pound firm tofu block (or pre-fried tofu!)
- 1 stalk green onion for garnish, chopped
- 5 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon MSG
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- oil for deep frying
- Cut, dry, and fry the tofu (or use pre-fried tofu)
- Combine ingredients for the filling and mix well. Slit the tofu and stuff tofu with the filling.
- Cut the tomatoes, then add the stuffed tofu, and all tomato sauce ingredients into one pot
- Bring to a boil, then drop the heat to a simmer on low/30% heat for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened and the meat filling is completely cooked.
- Mix it midway to ensure more even cooking, add chopped green onions during the last few minutes to cook and soften it a bit.
Subscribe to Hungry Huy’s Newsletter!