This recipe is slightly adapted from the Honey Garlic Chicken Sliders from The Asian Slow Cooker by Kelly Kwok.
Author: Maggie Zhu
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6 sliders
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds (700 to 900 grams) chicken thighs or breasts (skinless, bone-in or boneless)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (or homemade hoisin sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 slider buns or butter dinner rolls
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- (Optional) Sriracha
- (Optional) Sesame seeds for garnish
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker. Arrange the chicken so there is minimum or no overlapping.
- Combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Thai sweet chili sauce, honey, garlic, and onion in a bowl. Stir to mix well, and pour evenly over the chicken.
- Cook on low. For bone-in breast and thighs, cook for 4 to 5 hours. For boneless breast and thighs, cook for 3 to 4 hours. Once the chicken is done, you can leave it in the cooking liquid before serving, so it will further absorb the flavors.
- When you’re ready to serve, transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred into thin strips using two forks.
- (Optional) To make the sliders even tastier, you can use cornstarch to thicken the sauce to create a gravy. Drain the cooking liquid over a fine mesh into a small saucepan and discard the solid pieces. Cook until brought to a gentle simmer. Turn to low heat. Mix cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl until completely dissolved. Pour into the sauce and stir immediately to mix well. If the sauce is still not thick enough, you can add a bit more cornstarch slurry until it reaches desired thickness. Remove it from the stove and cover to keep warm.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine all the ingredients for the coleslaw in a big bowl and mix well. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To assemble the sliders, add a handful of shredded chicken onto the slider bun, top with slaw, drizzle with a spoonful of sauce, garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds (if using). Enjoy!