Once your tomatoes are squared away, throw on some feta (or goat) cheese for a salty kick and some fresh thyme and into the oven it goes! While baking, whip up a quick basil vinaigrette and then it’ll be ready in less than 20 minutes.
Can I just tell you how sad I was when it came time to eat this masterpiece? It was so beautiful I didn’t want anyone to touch it – but that only lasted about 3 minutes and then I went for it! Flaky crust made of puff pastry topped with all sorts of heirloom tomatoes from the market! It’s mind blowing and delicious and EASY! A sheet of puff pastry just needs to be thawed and then you can arrange tomatoes in any which way you please.
Slice it up and away you go!
PrintHeirloom Tomato Tart
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to the package directions
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) ripe various colored heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe heirloom red tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe heirloom yellow tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe heirloom orange tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe heirloom green tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe heirloom redish purple tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (or goat cheese)
- 2 ounces pancetta, cooked
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Tiny basil leaves for garnish
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- 1 recipe Basil Vinaigrette
- Preheat an oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out into a 9-by-13-inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the rectangle to the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, prick the rectangle evenly all over. To create a border on the tart, trace a 1/2 inch border on the outside of the puff pastry, slicing halfway through the puff pastry. Be careful not to cut through the entire puff pastry.
- Arrange the cherry tomato halves, sliced tomatoes, pancetta and cheese evenly on top of the pastry rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, and top with the thyme sprigs.
- Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a work surface. Cut the tart into pieces and serve with a bowl of basil vinaigrette for drizzling. Add tiny basil leaves on top to garnish.