A wonderful weekend is coming! Why not try these Grilled Chicken and Avocado Street Tacos in this weekend? I’ve always been a huge fan of street tacos, though sometimes I’m guilty of loading them with all the toppings when I make them at home, you can never go wrong with tomatoes or pico and cheese. Although here thanks to the addition of the not-so-typical avocado you don’t need any extra toppings than those listed. They are perfect just as is.
I love this recipe not only because they taste amazing but it’s one of those easy to through together recipes and you can also get a head start it a few hours in advance with the marinating. If you want to go all out you can serve them with carne asada street tacos as well. I love getting each kind when I get them on the street in Mexico or in restaurants so one of these days I’m going to feel ambitious and make all three at once (chicken, carne asada and carnitas). I guess that will just have to be the menu for my next party. That sounds like a great plan especially considering it’s finally starting to warm up again. Street tacos, Mexican rice, horchata, chips and loads of guacamole and salsa and tres leches cake or churros with chocolate sauce – sounds like the perfect menu to me. Try these soon, they are some of my favorite tacos and they’re perfectly mini and fun to eat! The kids will think they were made just for them with those itty bitty taco shells.
- 1 1/2 lbs trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- (About) 22 – 24 mini corn taco shells, warmed*
- 1 large avocado, cored and sliced into slices
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Mexican hot sauce
- Add chicken to a gallon size resealable bag. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin chili powder, 1 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper. Pour mixture over chicken in bag then seal bag while releasing an trapped air. Rub marinade over chicken. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (it should come to 425 – 450 degrees). Remove chicken from marinade. Season lightly with salt and grill until chicken has cooked through (thickest center should register from 165), turning once halfway through grilling, about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Dice grilled chicken into cubes. Layer together two tortillas per taco then add an avocado slice, diced chicken, onions and cilantro. Serve warm, spritzing each taco with lime juice and drizzling with hot sauce.
- *If you don’t want to double up on the tortillas you’ll only need about 12.