Level up your roasted potatoes with five spice powder and extra garlic!
Nothing says “family gathering dinner” quite like roasted potatoes. They are beloved by kids and adults alike, take no time to prepare, and they’re very easy to make.
If you like bold flavor as much as I do, try adding five spice to your roasted potatoes and you’ll be surprised by the result. Simply split the baby potatoes into half, toss with olive oil, crushed garlic, five spice, salt and pepper, and stick them into a hot oven. You’ll get beautifully charred potatoes with a warm taste and crispy garlic to go with it.
I love using colorful baby potatoes to make this dish for great presentation, but you can use Yukon or red potatoes as well. To properly brown the potatoes, make sure to pat them dry after rinsing.
The best way to deal with garlic is to crush the cloves by using a garlic press without peeling. If you do not own a garlic press, you can grate them instead.
If you have 5 minutes extra, make sure to make your own five spice powder instead of using the bottled one from the grocery store. You’ll thank me later!
You can serve these potatoes with braised pork shank, roasted turkey breast, Chinese style chicken piccata, and honey soy glazed salmon. For a light healthy dinner, serve them with a green salad and bring them together with a simple vinaigrette. They also pair beautifully with just about any poultry, steak, and fish dishes. They are also delicious and satisfying on their own, drizzled with honey sriracha yogurt sauce and topped with bacon bits.
This post is for Day Three of the #PotatoPalooza event co-hosted by Bowl of Delicious, Panning the Globe and Omnivore’s Cookbook. Check out what recipes the others posted today!
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes by Bowl of Delicious
- Crispy Italian Fried Potatoes and Peppers with Chive Butter by Panning the Globe
Special thanks to the Idaho Potato Commission for sponsoring #PotatoPalooza 2016! For more delicious potato recipes, check out Idaho® potatoes’ website.
5.0 from 2 reviews Five Spice and Garlic Roasted Potatoes Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 40 mins Total time 50 mins Author: Maggie Zhu Recipe type: Side Cuisine: Chinese Serves: 4 Ingredients
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes (white or red)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder (homemade five spice powder works better)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 big garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced chive (or green onion) for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (400 F).
- Halve or quarter potatoes into even size pieces. Transfer into a big bowl. Add olive oil, salt, five spice powder, black pepper, and garlic. Toss until the potatoes are well coated.
- Transfer the potatoes onto a baking sheet, and shake gently to spread to a single layer. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes to 1 hour, until browned and crisp. Shake the pan and flip the potatoes after 30 minutes to ensure even browning.
- Toss potatoes with chives and serve hot.
The nutrition facts are calculated based on 1 of the 4 servings generated by this recipe.